Tuesday, April 17, 2018

The Coast to the Beach toward LA

Morro Beach with its ancient volcanic peak

One way to offer resistance is humor. No tyrannt likes to be laughed at.

Midland Preparatory High School in the hills near Santa Barbara before lunch.

Janet Willie, a friend from Manitou Springs, the school's nurse.
I slept at beautiful, clean, quiet, Morro State Park on Sunday night, a contrast to the night before. On the way there, at the recommendation of a local, I stopped at the Siren Bar in Morro Bay, with great live music and dark local beer. The sirens of this place sang sweetly. Unlike Odysseus I did not resist the temptation to enjoy the pleasures of music and food. I was even tempted to dance.

Monday morning a hard rain awakened me in my bivy sack. About 7 a.m. I rode to the Albertsons to buy some food:  OJ, one bagel, salted almonds, one cherry pastry.  I went to check out and then eat at the counter.  A man was sleeping, in the store, under the counter. I didn't feel comfortable, nor did I want to wake him. So I biked over to the McDonald's to use their WiFi and buy a cup of coffee.  When I went into the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror, I saw that I too looked like I was homeless: unkempt, suntanned skin, disheveled.  But for the grace of God...

Then began my biggest day: 80 miles. From Morrow Bay to Midland School near Los Olivos.  Ancient volcanoes along the way. Another hard rainstorm between Guadalupe and Santa Maria and then riding into the town, in the gathering dark, to meet Janet at 8 p.m.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a great, full of life, experience on your bike. Love reading about it. ox your lil sis

    ReplyDelete

HomeThr

With three of my favorite friends on Venice Beach in LA  :) Bart and Paddy on Venice Beach on Saturday I flew home on Saturday. I ...