Thursday, April 5, 2018

The Door Opens + Hospitality Once Again

Bob Rauk, neighbor and friend, took me to Amtrak in SLC at 10 pm

The Kelly Family on Wednesday eve in their home.

Every journey depends on hospitality, not money.  Every worthwhile journey requires some letting go, some synchronicity, some risk, sometimes more risk.   There is a beckoning, a threshold to cross, a voice to listen to, a task to accomplish and then the return home.  This is my continuing Odyssey.

Last year I met Joe in Kanab in May while he was in the first third of his 6000 mile bike ride. When her reached Park City he stayed with me for a couple days, then left his bike for a week as he traveled via plane to a Boston family gathering. We stayed in touch.

Fast forward to September 2017 after the high of crossing the Golden Gate Bridge when on a mid month Saturday I caught a track on Pier 35.  Crash! I didn't even know I had cut my foot.  It was my left shoulder that hurt like hell!  Its called distracting pain. I looked down. A cut 3 inches long on top of my arch, 1/4 " deep, bright red, but not bleeding.  I called Joe who was thousands of miles away. "What should I do? Where should I go?" Then I asked Siri, "Where is Chinese Hospital?" On Stockton, where Bruce Lee was born. I walked the four long uphill blocks. My foot throbbed. There was no wait at the ER.  They fixed me up professionally.

Long story short, after the emergency room visit, I took BART to his parent's home in Martinez, near Oakland.  Planned was a nice party. I would leave the next day for Reno via train and my ride across Nevada on US 50.  No way now. My foot was swollen. Blood oozed through the bandage.  Julie and Bob picked me up from the train, gave me a room and a home for two days. Sanctuary really.

Fast forward to April 2018.  Joe greeted me at the Martinez train station.  We walked to his house. Talked. Drank local beer. Swapped stories.  Then to his parents for more beer, conversation, great food.

The journey continues.  I will expect and rely on the hospitality of others. And I will practice the same. Friday I will camp at Golden Gate National Recreation Area, then head south along the coast.  Who knows?  Indeed I already do.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

HomeThr

With three of my favorite friends on Venice Beach in LA  :) Bart and Paddy on Venice Beach on Saturday I flew home on Saturday. I ...