Saturday, April 14, 2018

The Pass

One of the staff blowing bubbles into the setting sun at Gorda on Friday the 13th

The Big Sur slide, looking south, closed to all traffic.   (You can see why.)  Still we snuck through at sunset and saved ourselves 125 miles and 7000 feet of elevation gain, plus traffic and hot temperatures.  It was scary and more than a bit dangerous.

Kevin, Ann and I the morning after the descent.  Without their encouragement I would not have done it.

America is broken.  This is Kai and his dog Black Lightning. They walked with us through the slide.
John Steinbeck's book The Grapes of Wrath is prescient. Poverty, xenophobia, unjust working conditions
and people living on the edge are still with us.

The journey continues as I read The Grapes of Wrath on my Kindle and all around me too, in real life.  Last night, Friday the 13th, I crossed the slide, an illegal crossing and a bit too scary.....and now am heading down the coast.  Mellow elevations, warm.  I've just had two wonderful Mango IPA beers at San Simeon with the Hearst Castle above me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HomeThr

With three of my favorite friends on Venice Beach in LA  :) Bart and Paddy on Venice Beach on Saturday I flew home on Saturday. I ...